Thursday 24 September 2009

Sehwag reiterates captaincy stance

India opener Virender Sehwag has revealed he would captain the team but believes the selectors should groom a younger player to take over the role from Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

Sehwag, who served as vice-captain of the Indian team until a shoulder injury laid him low, was reported to have told a television channel that he neither wanted to be captain of the Indian team nor did he want the vice-captaincy.

Sehwag, who stepped down as captain of the Indian Premier League side Delhi Daredevils, said age was against him competing with the 28-year-old Dhoni for the captaincy.

"Look, I am 30 and it is unlikely that I will be made captain once Dhoni's reign is over," Sehwag said.

"Right now, I don't think Dhoni should be replaced, but if he is forced away from the game, say through injury, then I have no problem leading the side if the captaincy is offered to me.

"But I think it is better if the selectors groom someone who can take on the responsibility at a later stage.

"I have led India before and when Rahul Dravid quit, I was not part of the team so there was no question of me being made the captain then.

"At this stage there is no point in my being vice-captain either."

Sehwag, missing the Champions Trophy in South Africa due to a shoulder injury, backed Gautam Gambhir, his replacement as Delhi Daredevils captain, to take over the national captaincy from Dhoni.

"I have watched Gautam operate from close quarters and I know he has the talent," he said.

"He thinks positively and he has great leadership skills.

"One of the reasons for giving up the Daredevils captaincy, apart from wanting to concentrate on my batting, was because I felt Gautam should be given the chance to make the team do better.

"I led Daredevils to the semi-finals in two seasons, but I think he can lead us to the final.

"Also, the next edition of the IPL is the only chance for Gautam because the players will change with another auction taking place after that." link

No comments:

Post a Comment